04 May 2011

Theatresports 2011

Theatresports 2011


A Message from the Wellington Improv Heavyweight Champion 2010



Many people would be filled with dread if they were told they had to get up on stage with no script and entertain an audience. But there are a small (some might call slightly crazy) group of us who get a real kick out of it. 

Never seen Theatresports before? You don’t know what you’re missing! A quick explanation - teams of up to 3 or 4 players improvise scenes within a chosen game structure. At the beginning of every game the team will ask the audience for a couple of ‘ask fors’ to get the scene underway.

As with any sport there are an agreed set of principles and rules you must adhere to. Disregard them at your peril! And at the end of each scene the audience and judges will score it out of 5. 

The team with the most points at the end of the night wins, but the player who accumulates the most points over the course of the entire season takes the championship title. 

With Winter just around the corner…oh who am I kidding, already here, there’s no better way to top off your weekend than to kick back on a Sunday night in toasty Circa watching some great improvised comedy.  Maybe I’m a little biased, but the truth is I always have a blast when I’m on stage with the guys. And the only time I don’t is when I get challenged to do a scene in rhyming couplets. Quite honestly, rhyming couplets are my kryptonite. Come along, you’ll see what I mean!

Richard Falkner won the title in 2009, I took it off him in 2010, who will take it out in 2011? One thing's for sure, I'm not giving up my title, or the real fake gold heavyweight championship belt, without a fight.

- Anna Kennedy

Part of the NZ International Comedy Festival 2011, Theatresports kicks off on Sunday, 8 May at 7:30pm and runs every Sunday until the Grand Finale on 10 Juily. Tickets are available now, so call the Circa Box Office at 801-7992 or go online at www.circa.co.nz to book today!

No comments:

Post a Comment