05 November 2012

The Truth Game: Q & A with Acushla-Tara Sutton


Acushla-Tara Sutton talks to drama on the waterfront about her experience in the current Circa one show, The Truth Game.

Acushla-Tara Sutton on the set of The Truth Game.
Q: Is this the first time you have worked at Circa?

A: Yes, this is my first time performing at Circa. It has been such an amazing experience working with such an experienced cast and crew at such a prestigious theatre. In Wellington, I've only ever worked at BATS for the 2010 and 2011 Young and Hungry seasons.

Q: You are the youngest member of the cast – has that been special?

A: I would definitely say I'm very lucky. Although I don't think being the youngest has had a huge effect on the experience, being the newbie to the group has meant over the past couple of months I have been able learn from some of the best in the business. I'm very fortunate to have landed this role!

Q: Tell us about the character you play in The Truth Game.

A: Jo Pointer is a recent journalism school graduate and has landed a job at a local newspaper 'The Advocate' as a sub editor. She is bright eyed and optimistic, although that is not to be mistaken for immaturity. Jo has arrived with a strong belief in the growing importance of technology, social media and the like, which makes for interesting relationships with those that have been working in the business for a long time without the need for these. Deep down Jo has a great passion for journalism, but she may have other motives for wanting to work at 'The Advocate' as well.

Q: What is the most memorable moment of the season for you? The most difficult?

A: I think the most memorable moment had to be opening night, my first night on the stage of a professional theatre, with my family in the audience cheering me on. I'm not going to forget that in a hurry! However, for the most difficult, probably having to learn to do a scene entirely on roller blades a week out from opening. I had practised skating around the theatre, but it was not until the set was finished that I could practice the details - such as carrying a tea tray.

Q: This is the final week of the season – how do you feel about that?

A: As is always the feeling when a show is coming to a close I'm feeling a little down that it will all be over soon. I have had such a great time with the cast and crew that it is going to be sad to see it end, but I'm very lucky to have had such a long performance season. The community shows I am use to doing in my home town of New Plymouth only run for two weeks (if you're lucky), so a four week season has been fantastic!

Q: What do you do when not acting?

A: I am a third year business student at Victoria University majoring in Tourism Management, Marketing and Human Resources and International Relations. After this year I have one more year of study to complete both degrees (BCA and BTM). I also have a couple of hobbies and a new kitten to keep me busy.

Q: What is next for you?

A: Who knows! At the moment I am looking forward to finishing my exams and then I will be focusing on helping with my sister's upcoming wedding. Next year is a full year of study but I have a few acting jobs lined up which I am very excited about. Hopefully it is not too long before I can tread the boards at Circa again, just hopefully not in roller blades next time!


The Truth Game is on in Circa One until 10 November. To book a ticket, call the Circa Box Office on 801-7992 or visit www.circa.co.nz.

No comments:

Post a Comment