07 March 2011

Fairy Stories: Sheer escapism!

Taking a moment from rehearsing the magical tales that make up Fairy Stories, Kate O’ Rourke tells drama on the waterfront all about working on the show that puts a 'skip in her step'.

DOTW: Please tell us about Fairy Stories; what can audiences expect?

KOR: Nothing I say can prepare you for Fairy Stories. There is no other show like it, and I really, really mean that! We have chosen some well loved fairytales to share with you all but please DO NOT expect the Little Golden Book version – we are retelling them in a very unique way! It is a totally spell binding experience, jam packed with belly aching humor, heart stopping drama, glorious movement, costumes fit for the Wearable Arts Supreme Award and music that, after four weeks of rehearsal, still gives me goose bumps. What more could you ask for? Fairy Stories is enchanting and one of those rare shows that everyone can enjoy, and will continue to do so long after you have left the theatre. Sheer escapism!

DOTW: What is your role in this production?

KOR: What isn’t my role would be an easier question to answer! I play nine different characters, six of which appear in the first Act. Busy busy….!


DOTW: What sort of challenges come with working on a show like this?

KOR: Remembering which costume to put on when and quite often having to achieve this in 45 seconds. Oh, and did I mention the wigs ...?

DOTW: I understand that Fairy Stories has been staged at Circa before; how does this show compare to one of its earlier incarnations?

KOR: When Fairy Stories first hit Wellington it instantly became the talk of the town, a show that bewitched its audience and put that magic back into live performance. We are now in the 21st Century. Everyone has moved forward, as has Fairy Stories. We’ve been given the wonderful opportunity to polish the jewel. 

DOTW: What has it been like working with Sir Jon Trimmer? What can you tell us about the rest of the cast?

KOR: The last time I shared the stage with Sir Jon (and no, we don’t call him Sir in the rehearsal room!) I was 11 years old and was one of the children lucky enough to be chosen for the RNZB production of Coppelia. I never thought I’d be fortunate enough to work with him again!

Jon is one of the most gracious, generous and authentic people I have ever had the pleasure of working with. His presence on stage is truly inspiring and the twinkle in his eye impossible to ignore!

Paul Jenden, choreographer, performer, designer, writer. A constant in my performing life and the light behind Fairy Stories. Words cannot begin to describe Paul’s brilliance.  Watching Fairy Stories gives you a small glimpse into the mind of a wonderful creator.

Louis Solino and Jenny Beech complete our amazing cast. It is an honour to work with such talented, inspiring artists.

DOTW: What has been your favourite part of working on Fairy Stories thus far?

KOR: Leaving the house for work with a skip in my step. How many people can say they look forward to Mondays? I love what I do. I love it all. And I simply cannot wait for opening night!!


Fairy Stories opens in Circa Two on 12 March, and runs until 9 April. There will be a $25 Preview performance on 11 March, and a $25 Special performance on 13 March. To buy tickets, call the Circa Box Office at 04-801-7992 or go online at www.circa.co.nz

No comments:

Post a Comment