24 January 2012

Meet the Circa Council: Neville Carson

This week, we’d like to introduce you to another Circa Council member, everyone’s favourite man about the admin office, Neville Carson.


DOTW: Tell us a little about yourself.

NC: I was born in Dunedin, raised in Greymouth, moved to Nelson at 13, and went on to the University of Canterbury. I came to Wellington at the end of 1971 to work for the N Z University Students Association. Then worked as Production Manager for Pacific Films before using my legal training with the Department of Social Welfare and the State Services Commission. In the mid-80s I set up an actor’s agency, Plumb Personnel, and worked at that, and some film production, until I pretty much retired.

DOTW: What is your history with Circa Theatre? How long have you been involved in the theatre and in what capacity?

NC: I’ve been involved in theatre since Drama Society days at university, and followed keenly the Wellington scene from my arrival. I knew some of the founders of Circa pretty well, though was away overseas when things got going. I’ve been involved with Circa as a Councillor and in the specific roles of Treasurer, Secretary and Coordinator on a number of occasions, and also in earlier years did some performing, a little bit of design, and a lot of set building. I’m Treasurer again at present!

DOTW: How long have you been a member of the Circa Council? How did you come to join the Council?

NC: I joined Circa Council in 1977. My friend John Reid, who was on the Council, asked if I would join and take over the role of Treasurer, as the foundation Treasurer had resigned.

DOTW: What has been a highlight event/production/moment for you in your time at Circa?

NC: There have been many highlights, but I am particularly proud of the production management job I did on Waitangi in 1986. I also thoroughly enjoyed playing the Cardinal in The Duchess of Malfi a few years earlier. 1994 was a huge year, getting our new building completed and meeting endlessly over what – physically, operationally and attitudinally – we wanted to bring over the road with us. And helping get our 20 years history published in 1996 was fun.

DOTW: What are you particularly looking forward to in the 2012 programme?

NC: Our 2012 programme is particularly exciting, but in particular I’m looking forward to Peninsula, Chekhov in Hell, Sunset Road and Clybourne Park.

DOTW: Finally, do you have anything to say about Circa, with respect to its 35th birthday or looking forward to the next 35 years?

NC: Sometimes I pinch myself to see if I’m dreaming that this little theatre is still going. National Super comes my way this week, and more than half of my life has been spent helping to keep Circa going. With some talented new Councillors on board there seems to be no reason it shouldn’t continue for another 35 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment